Monday, October 22, 2012

Book Review: 10 Who Changed the World by Danny Akin


A friend of mine, Jarrett Stephens, recommended this book to me and I am glad he did. Danny Akin takes 10 great missionaries are correlates their story with a portion of Scripture that he exegetes as well.  There are many tremendous details of famous missionaries’ stories I had not heard, as well as introductions to missionaries I was not familiar with. Without going into great detail about each chapter, I am going to give you the name of the 10 missionaries and the key takeaway I had from them:

1.     William Carey – Not His Own
2.     Adoniram & Ann Judson – All Good Even When Life Is Not
3.     Bill Wallace – Sacrifice Today for the Eternal Tomorrow
4.     Lottie Moon – Living and Loving Loud for the Gospel
5.     Jim Elliot – Passionate Persistent Pursuit of Proclaiming
6.     George Leile – Slave to the Gospel (True First Modern Missionary)
7.     David Brainerd – Unashamed Self-Denial
8.     Eric Liddell – Surrendered Champion
9.     John & Betty Stam – Courageous Glorification in Life and Death
10. James Fraser – The Prayer Missionary

This is one of the true first books I have read just to read since I graduated from school. It was a great read and I would recommend it to anyone wanting to learn more about missions, missionaries, passion for Christ or His mission. This is an encouraging and challenging read for followers of Jesus.


No comments: