Friday, October 25, 2019

A Brief Explanation Of Temperaments

A Brief Explanation Of Temperaments

As I became fascinated with the temperaments when I was in high school it was the first time I gained any real insight into personality differences that was helpful to me in real life. Being a Melancholy/Phlegmatic myself I had a strong tendency to always be thinking, analyzing, feeling deeply and gloomy a lot. I needed the external validation I received from understanding that I was just a Melancholy/Phlegmatic and not an outcast. As I age and mature I find myself being more Phlegmatic/Melancholy. I have overcome many of the Melancholy weaknesses and began exhibiting more of the Phlegmatic strengths. So you see we are not stuck at all.

The study of the five basic temperaments can be very helpful in understanding yourself and those around you in a way that allows everyone to be who they are. I've read tons of things about the origin of the temperaments and also the many other similar personality explanations. The history of temperaments doesn't interest me as in the end it has nothing to do with why they are helpful today. The other personality tests and explanations out there are fine but personally I prefer the five basic temperaments - theory. Yes, they are all called theories.

The Supine temperament is a new addition as there seemed to be a huge piece of the pie missing. A real life example is my own mother. Many times over the years when my family would get together we applied the temperament test and every time we all came out about the same. But my mother's temperament just didn't fit very well into any of them. When I read the fifth temperament traits I could see my mother in it perfectly.

There are many books and articles about the temperaments available and also the Internet has more to read on the temperaments than you could read in a year. The reason I am making a website about the temperaments is for all those Melancholy types out there that went through similar inner misery I went through in my younger years having such an inner propensity to get down on myself so much and feel so unwelcome in my own mind.

I included a page about introverts and a little about extroverts as I recently learned a lot more about introvertedness and it ties in with the temperaments quite a bit.

I added a blog to this website as I had the idea of jotting down a few thoughts for the day - not necessarily every day but sometimes.
******************************************************

But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong. II Corinthians 12 : 9-10
***********************************We're Born With It!

Our temperament is a set of tendencies you were born with and is not very changeable. We will discuss five temperament types. In fact, a combination of two is usually most accurate in understanding ourselves.

Our temperament controls our actions and reactions and it is influenced by our character and our personality.

Our Character is the real us. It is what we really are when no one else is around. Our character is shaped by life experiences (or the roles we play) and all of the things that influence us.

Our personality is how we express ourselves outwardly to others; what we look like to others on the outside; happy, angry, smiling, frowning, etc.. How people perceive our personality is based primarily on what we reveal to them. Sometimes we act like someone we think we should be as a person but, that’s not who we really are.


Understanding your temperament helps with all of your relationships. When you are with others who have similar temperaments it becomes clear why you are comfortable around them. The opposite happens when you are with someone who sees things very differently and you struggle to find common ground.
All the temperament posts were discovered from a great website on this subject: https://fivetemperaments.weebly.com/ 

No comments: