Monday, July 19, 2010

No Such Thing as "the Gift of Evangelism" by Ed Stetzer


This is from Ed Stetzer's blog: Recently, I spoke at the Church of God Triennial meeting in Decatur, IL. One of the things I talked about was my belief that there is no such thing as "the gift of evangelism." Part of my concern is that I hear many people saying they don't have the "gift of evangelism" and thus believing it is not their responsibility to do evangelism (since they don't have the "gift"). And, since evangelism can be a challenge at times, that seems to be a "gift" that people don't want.

In the mid-90s, a well-known leader who created a "spiritual gifts test," told me that about 10% of people have the gift of evangelism. Yet, that number seems to be on decline. Barna recently released research saying, "Among the interesting facets of the research was that just 1% of believers claim to have the gift of evangelism (down from 4% five years ago)."

Hmmmmm.

I don't think this means there is a widespread growing realization that no one has the gift of evangelism. My best guess is that it is because people are talking themselves out of their obligation to do evangelism.

I think that the current challenge of evangelism is why an increasing number of people do not think they have the gift.

Here are four proposals I made at that meeting.

1. All believers are given the ministry of reconciliation (2 Corinthians 5:18). That is, their role is to be agents of reconciliation and share how men and women are to be redeemed and changed by the power of the gospel.

2. Timothy was called to do his work in evangelistic ways (2 Timothy 4:5) but based on the fact that all are called to present the gospel of reconciliation, it makes sense that we can heed that admonition in all our lives. Thus, I encourage pastors to do ministry in evangelistic ways, but particularly church leaders (since Timothy was a church leader). Like in 1 Timothy 3, leaders are almost always commanded to do the things believers do-- just more so.

3. The church is gifted with evangelists (Eph. 4:11) who help us be faithful doing evangelism. We should talk more about the gifted people called evangelists.

4. It is unhelpful to refer to evangelism as a gift because it removes the responsibility of all believers. In other words, many think that if they don't have the gift, it is not their job. Evangelism is not a gift, it is a call to all believers.


What do you think?

2 comments:

Robin said...

A wise friend (I think his name starts with a 'C' and ends with an 'olehedgecock') once told me that God equips the called. I think when we start by looking at our (current) gifts instead of listening for His call, we've got the process reversed anyway. God calls all of us to "Go and tell," so we must assume that He will equip us for that purpose.

Lipscomb Tree Care Service said...

Evangelism is something that all Christians are called to. Go therefore into the highways and hedges...I began evangelism when I was only 2 months in the Lord! I remember the first person I approached. I was so afraid and shaking, but committed to tell them about Jesus! I was encouraged, and relieved when they turned out to be open to the message. I was so excited! There is however the office of the Evangelist, like Billy Graham. Thy spend their lives preaching the Gospel of Jesus Christ and winning souls for the kingdom!