Monday, June 11, 2012

My Trip to the Great Wall: June 8, 2012


According to Chinese folklore, I became a man on June 8 as I scaled the Great Wall in China. It was a truly incredible experience to see that huge structure built by mere men over 2,000 years ago.  My friend Jess & I rode a gondola up to the get on top of it, and spent about 3 hours walking/climbing on it. There are some obvious areas where the wall has been updated, but the base seems to be in tact. There are holes where soldiers would shoot arrows, there were replica cannons, and even a watchtower you could scale. 

It spans nine provinces and its total length is 6,700 km (3,948 miles). The first portion was built on 221 BC by the Qin dynasty; the last portion built concluded in 1911 in the Qing dynasty. There have been numerous repairs throughout the years, which are ongoing. 

Throughout the duration of my time on the wall, I really only had one thought going through my head. I know men built it, but God placed a Scripture in my head, “the earth is the Lord’s and everything in it.” Psalm 24:1 tells us that whether or not man gives God the credit, they and everything they make are a gift from our Heavenly Father.


No comments: