Monday, August 18, 2008

Busyness Does Not Equal Success


To me, it sure does seem as though far too many people are far too busy. When I read through my friends’ status updates on Facebook, it seems as though there is a competition for who can be the busiest. From housewives to ministers, there are constant notations on how there is so much to do that they often do not know where to start.

Zig Ziglar used to say that busyness does not equal success. He stated this because people have a tendency to equate doing stuff with significance and feeling successful. For me, busyness takes away from the ability to participate in significant activities. I would much rather spend time with my family, than running around like a chicken with my head cut off. Life sure does seem more fun when there is time to relax as opposed to the sense of rushing from one place to another. Jesus even said that he has come to give us peace, and it seems as though we would prefer to take on chaos instead.

In Africa & Greece (and many other places), people will actually stop working in the middle of the day for 3-4 hours just to rest, a concept foreign to the us in the States. A mentor and friend of mine, Steve Smith, used to always talk about the ministers we worked with as constantly running and working far too hard. He said that ministry should be easier than that… something like if God is in it, we should be able to relax and watch him work.

Don’t get me wrong, I know that many people have lots of things to do, but doing lots of things should not be a way of life. We should be able to take time to enjoy life. We should be able to rest each day. We should be in control of our schedules instead of dominated by them.

I would keep on writing on this topic, but I have to finish our campaign curriculum, a looming staff meeting, prepare for counseling, work on our fall kickoff stuff… see, bragging about being busy is just plane ridiculous!

No comments: